- In Python, a
lambdais an anonymous function created using the
- Lambda functions consist of a single, simple expression and are often used when you need a concise function without defining a separate function.
- The syntax of a lambda function is:
lambda arguments: expression
# Lambda function to calculate square square = lambda x: x**2 print(square(5)) # Output: 25 # Lambda function to calculate the sum of two numbers add = lambda a, b: a + b print(add(3, 7)) # Output: 10
- Functional Programming is a programming style based on using functions and avoiding stateful variables.
- In Python, you can implement Functional Programming using methods like
reduce(), and lambda functions.
- These functions allow you to perform operations on data without changing their state.
# Using map() and lambda function to calculate squares of numbers in a list numbers = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] squared_numbers = list(map(lambda x: x**2, numbers)) print(squared_numbers) # Output: [1, 4, 9, 16, 25] # Using filter() and lambda function to filter even numbers in a list even_numbers = list(filter(lambda x: x % 2 == 0, numbers)) print(even_numbers) # Output: [2, 4]
Functional Programming in Python makes your code more readable, maintainable, and extensible. It also helps you avoid issues related to stateful variables and is a popular programming style in software development.